Friday 6 June 2014

13 Backpacking essentials

After travelling the world for the last year I've learnt a few things about backpacking.

There are some essential items and top tips that I've either learnt from experience or have picked up from people I've met:

1 Backpack

The main thing is to have a backpack (doh!) - but a really good one for travelling will be:
- Large enough to live out of, but not to large that it'll be too heavy to carry when full; 
- It will have a front opening zip - i.e. It will open like a suitcase enabling packing and finding things quickly (Unlike a top opening hiking backpack)
- And it'll have a waist strap so you'll be supported when carrying 20 kilos of stuff home!

You'll need more space if you are doing a trip with multiple climates - otherwise try to get away with the smallest bag possible. 



My trusty backpacks - the little one was good for 2-4 week trips and the large one was perfect for my 5 months in South America - thanks Susanna for lending it to me - now I just need to figure out how I'm going to get back to you in New Zealand....

2 Packing cubes

This might sound like overdoing it for some people, but for me it really helped with packing stuff quickly (vital when you need to catch that bus NOW!) and keeping things in order, so clean clothes separate from dirty and everything flat so less creased and ready to wear without looking like you're living out of a bag.

My best purchase from the post office in the last year (they really do sell random travel crap there - check it out next time you're queuing!) Also the travel storage bag is good if you are taking jumpers or bulky items. You put your things in the bag, seal it and then roll to expel the air - so it takes up less room in your bag.



Top tip - put some tumble dryer sheets in your packing cubes/bags to limit the musty smell / cross contamination from dirty clothes!

3 Antiseptic hand gel

I know everyone knows about this one - except I would include you need one that attaches to the outside of your bag. This enables you to use it without touching everything with your dirty hands to open the bag and locate the gel. I saw this first with a Canadian couple on my Morocco trip and then stocked up for me and my friends when I was in the States -  now I see them everywhere!



4 Sewing kit & duct tape

These are invaluable to fixing any of the rest of your stuff - from clothes to bags, to engineering a solution to hold your water next to your bunk (thinking particularly about the duct tape now...). Very worth having around - I used the sewing kit lots.



5 A day bag that doesn't look like a handbag

I would add that it shouldn't look or be expensive either. I had a great little ripstop nylon bag from Kathmandu that was used so much during my year that it's effectively died (even after I sewed it back together - see above). It was a cross body bag that doubled as a beach bag (big enough for a towel), a shopping bag and a carry on bag.

But most importantly it didn't look posh or that it contained anything valuable. It also allowed me to be hands free, but because it wasn't a backpack I could access things without taking it off - useful on public transport when you want to keep an eye on your stuff but hide your camera away.

This seems particularly more important given the few stories I've heard about muggings or potential muggings during my time in South America. The best advice for that is to not carry anything valuable with you and for girls - hide your purse in your bra!

There's no picture as unfortunately Kathmandu has stopped making these bags - RIP!

6 Flipflops

Invaluable in any hot climate - potentially the only shoes you'll need if they are nice enough and your not climbing mountains!


My lovely Havianas!

7 Medication

Always take a medical kit - it doesn't need to hold much, but those plasters, paracetamol and rehydration sachets will be great when your ill, whether it's self inflicted or not! If you can get them, take a course of general antibiotics too - if you go to Asia you can buy these cheap there. Definitely what you need when stuck somewhere without a proper pharmacy when you are ill enough to need them. 


(Ps lack of pharmacies doesn't appear to be a problem in South America - they were everywhere! But maybe not up a mountain...)

8 Pack valuables in your hand luggage

After a couple of friends lost bags or had them go walkies when flying this advice is more relevant. Pack your valuables in your hand luggage. So that's your phone and charger, your jewellery, any irreplaceable souvenirs and if you have space a change of clothes. That way if your main bag doesn't turn up at least you have something clean!

9 Neck pillow, earplugs and eye mask

Even if you aren't doing mega long bus rides (although if you are travelling as a backpacker you probably will - the savings compared to flying buy many beers!) a blow up neck/head pillow will allow more comfort anywhere. On the plane, train, bus or even in the tent or hostel bed.


Ear plugs and eye masks are the best way to ensure a good nights sleep in the dorm room - so even if your roommates are being inconsiderate you won't get disturbed when they chat and turn the light on (well hopefully - depends exactly how loud they are!)

10 Washing line, sink plug & hand washing powder

Only really relevant in hot countries where you'll have space to hang stuff to dry - so ideal for the beach! However I did leave my washing line in Cambodia and didn't need another one for the last 6 months of my trip. Most places if you need to get washing done will be cheap (exception was Brasil but it was the cleanest any of my stuff had been in 7 months!), however if you only need to do your swimsuit or knickers then this is useful. 

11 Padlocks

To secure your stuff - e.g. your bag when you chuck it on that overnight bus, or to lock valuables in a locker when staying in a dorm room. Get TSA approved locks if you transit through the US and take a few - I found the combination locks most useful. 



12 Chargers & travel adaptors

If you have USB charging cables take a dual USB travel adaptor with you. If not at least make sure you have travel adaptors that work in the countries that you are visiting. Universal travel adaptors can be found at the airport, the post office, that random shop on the high street - you get my drift!


13 Caribiners

Absolutely vital for attaching stuff to you or your bag. 



The lipsalve sling was also useful!


And finally take less stuff!

The old adage goes that you should organise everything you want to take with you and lay it all out. Then pack half the amount of stuff and take twice the money - you can always buy stuff when travelling and this might be a good way to double up the usefulness for souvenirs. Although I don't agree with wearing things before giving them as gifts (you know who you are!)

Also taking less stuff leaves room for those souvenirs - you don't want your bag full before you leave, athough the holy grail moment when you can arrange your bag to get those trainers to fit in is amazing!

Now I'm back from my travels what am I going to do?

Well you can find out on my new blog - What's Katie Doing? - and follow my exploits in London and attempts to get a job :)



1 comment:

  1. Interesting article shared. All essential backpacking things are mentioned here. Thanks a lot.
    meet and greet at Heathrow
    meet and greet at Birmingham

    ReplyDelete